Re: [Hampshire] Debian to Ubuntu, without complete reinstall…

Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian to Ubuntu, without complete reinstall?
Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/8/6 David Ramsden <david@???>:
>> I have the need to upgrade 3 remote servers from Debian to Ubuntu. I'd
>> like to avoid a complete re-install because:
>
> Blimey, you're brave posting "Upgrade .. from Debian to Ubuntu" on
> this list. Get your best flame retardant underpants on.

:)

Apparently, if I want to run the latest version of the required
software, I have to use Ubuntu now. Which is a bit of a pain when there
are these three Debian servers out there...

>> Is there a migration path from Debian to Ubuntu that can be carried out
>> remotely (i.e. via SSH)? I can't see any "official" documentation but
>> then maybe my search terms aren't quite right.
>>

> Guess it at least in part depends on the versions you're going from
> and to. Clearly going Debian SID -> Ubuntu Dapper is going to be
> fraught as you are downgrading packages. Going Debian Sarge -> Ubuntu
> Hardy might be less painful, but still probably quite horrific.

One server is currently on Debian 5.0.2, the others are Debian 4.0. The
required software now needs Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

>> Has anyone tried this? Did it work?
>>

> No, but I fancy a challenge :)
>
> I would personally try it in a local VM first to see what gotchas
> there might be. Install a base Debian install the same release as the
> one you want to upgrade and add in whatever other packages are
> installed. Get the VM as "alike" the remote machine as you can in
> terms of config and apps, then tweak the sources lists and start
> upgrading packages piecemeal.

I'm just downloading a Debian ISO and a Ubuntu ISO to do this in
VirtualBox. Like you, I fancy a challenge. I think it'll end in a big
fail but it'll be an interesting experiment.

> Googling has turned up a few hits, in both directions..
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=convert+debian+to+ubuntu

Thanks. I've not tried the term "convert" so will take a look. I was
really hoping (aka clutching at straws?) that some clever person had
written a script to do this. I'm sure someone wrote a RedHat to Debian
conversion script. Or something along those lines.

>> If it all goes wrong, the servers aren't currently business critical. So
>> I would have a few days to travel to each one and rescue it/reinstall.
>>

> One has to wonder the merit of this venture in the first place though.
> It may well be quicker/easier/less grief to just bite the bullet and
> reinstall.

I will go down the VM route and if that's painful it'll be an on site
job. I should probably propose lights out cards too...

Thanks for the reply.

David.
--
  .''`.     David Ramsden