Re: [Hampshire] Reset root password

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Reset root password
Tim wrote:
> I set my son up a laptop with xubuntu on it and the password I choose for root
> was not the normal one I use (because he knows that one). Now the problem is I
> can't rememebr what it was either. I want to add a couple of program and update
> etc. and I can't now, my son is not setup as a sudoer user so that not an
> option.
>
> Can anybody point me in the direction of a set of instructions for password
> recovery that work, I have googled but there are many but I don't want to end
> up damaging the install trying to reset the password so I am looking for
> instruction that other have used without a problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

You need to reboot, when GRUB shows the menu, press ESC after the BIOS
POST message.

    * use the arrows to select the boot entry you want to modify,
usually the top one.
    * press e to edit the entry
    * use the arrows to go to kernel line
    * press e to edit this entry
    * at the end of the line add the word single
    * press ESC to go back to the parent menu
    * press b to boot this kernel
You will be deposited into a root shell after splash screen etc.
Now you can mod the root password with "passwd"

HtH