Re: [Hampshire] Debian to Ubuntu, without complete reinstall…

Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian to Ubuntu, without complete reinstall?
john lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:26:49 +0100
> David Ramsden <david@???> wrote:
>
>> Alan Pope wrote:
>>> Blimey, you're brave posting "Upgrade .. from Debian to Ubuntu" on
>>> this list. Get your best flame retardant underpants on.
>
> I didn't like to comment ;-)

s/Upgrade/Migrate/

Although that probably doesn't make things any better, does it John? ;)

>>> Apparently, if I want to run the latest version of the required
>> software, I have to use Ubuntu now. Which is a bit of a pain when
>> there are these three Debian servers out there...
>
>> One server is currently on Debian 5.0.2, the others are Debian 4.0.
>> The required software now needs Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
>
> what software package can't you get with Debian 5.0.2?

Unfortunately the package is provided by a 3rd party vendor, via their
own repository.

The latest major release of the package is Ubuntu only. I could probably
download the .deb and get it to work but then I may run the risk of
hitting a bug and the answer being "it's because you're not running Ubuntu".

The reason behind this is because the product can also run as a virtual
appliance using VMware. I've been told that Debian is no longer VMware
certified but Ubuntu is. Therefore the software vendor has decided to
ditch Debian with newer versions of their product.

> Debian 4.0 is pretty old nowadays and should be upgraded to current
> stable at the very least.

[snip]

The boxen have been running for nearly a year and there wasn't the need
to upgrade. Upgrading means some downtime which wasn't an option either.
Luckily I now have a window where I can upgrade or re-install as it
looks like I'll be doing.

Thanks for the input and thoughts.

David.
--