Re: [Hampshire] Software bugs & impending liability

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Software bugs & impending liability

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57717100.hantslug.org.uk.21644': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Aug 8 17:11:28 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Stephen,

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 04:04:32PM +0100, Stephen Davies wrote:
> When I was working for myself I had Professional Indemnity insurance
> just for this very reason. However if you as an individual try to get
> such insurance it is AFAIK, nigh upon impossible.

I now have PI insurance as a limited company but in the past I also
had it as a sole trader and talked to two other people recently who
also bought it as sole traders, for a very reasonable amount.

I could also recommend the federation of small businesses, who for a
quite low yearly subscription will give you many benefits including
access to free legal advice and ultimately representation when
defending a case if that is required. I've fortunately never had to
go that far, but their advice has been good so far.

Of course, I don't think a limited company or PI insurance will
protect individuals from possible prosecution where death is
involved.

As for the larger subject at hand, I have difficulty believing that
software authors, publishers or distributors will ever be held
legally responsible for defects. Which I think is a good thing.

Cheers,
Andy