Re: [Hampshire] IPV4 : 700 days and counting ?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] IPV4 : 700 days and counting ?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58210100.hantslug.org.uk.32078': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Aug 12 12:40:16 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hello,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:41:25PM +0000, Nick Chalk wrote:
> Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 07:17:44AM +0100,
> > Stephen Davies wrote:
> >> It states that the IPV4 address base will be
> >> exhausted in 700 days and that we should (by
> >> default) move to IPV6
> > I think it will take a bit longer than this, but
> > not much longer. I would expect there to be a
> > formalised market for trading IPv4 allocations
> > in the next couple of years, and then trading of
> > them will extend its life by 5-10 years.
>
> RIPE's FAQ on IPv4 address exhaustion:
>    http://www.ripe.net/info/faq/IPv6-deployment.html

> A little estimation tool, with commentary:
>    http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

The thing is though, this data is based only on current policies and
request frequencies, and does not take into account what will happen
once there is a direct monetary advantage to reassigning unused
address space, i.e. a market for address space. As we near
exhaustion, policies of the RIRs will change and there will be huge
pressure to allow trading of allocations.

Currently it is quite difficult to sell an IP allocation as none of
the RIRs support that. It is sort of possible by making a
subsidiary company that uses the allocation and then sell the
subsidiary to another company, but I don't think you can list the
allocation as part of the official assets of the company.

Towards he end I think this will change and will have some strange
effects.

There have been some other interesting drivers towards IPv6 adoption
especially in the Asia Pacific region. For example, some broadband
providers have too many subscribers for each one to get a unique
IPv4 address inside any RFC1918 block.

Cheers,
Andy

You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.
-- Mike Bristow