Re: [Hampshire] apache redirection problem

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] apache redirection problem

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58443100.hantslug.org.uk.26900': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Aug 14 12:44:46 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 04:31:53AM -0700, Peter Alefounder wrote:

> If I use a web browser to look at a local html or pdf file, is it
> possible to set things up so that a link to an external web site is
> redirected to the local file system?

I think the only thing you could do is ensure that
external.site.com resolves to 127.0.0.1 (via either /etc/hosts, or a
local DNS server: the former is easiest), and then set up a name-based
virtual host in your apache to host external.site.com, with the
directory structure you want in it, and then let Apache serve the
files from your local filesystem.

Using file:// URLs is probably a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't
try doing that unless absolutely desperate. Serve everything via HTTP
through your local Apache. (And I'd strongly recommend upgrading to a
later Apache if you can. v1.3 is a bugger to configure, IME).

Hugo.

  --- I am but mad north-north-west:  when the wind is southerly, I ---
                       know a hawk from a handsaw.