[Hampshire] Firewall machines, was: Introductions

Author: Alan Pope
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Firewall machines, was: Introductions
2009/8/18 Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???>:
> If they'd release an eeeBox sized system with TWO Nics's I would buy one
> in a shot and probably run Smoothwall on it.

I have a viglen PC which I wanted to use as a smoothwall / ipcop
gateway machine but with only one ethernet port that's a bit tricky. I
tried a really cheapo ethernet usb device but it could only sustain
around 6Mb/s. This wouldn't be a problem if I was on my old ADSL line
which maxed at about 2Mb/s, however with 20Mb/s cable this became a
bottleneck :) I contacted the author of the driver who said it wasn't
a driver limitation but that the chip used in the device was not
capable of higher throughput.

One of the guys in the LUGRadio community mentioned the Apple USB to
Ethernet device and how it worked well under Linux. So I found a
vendor selling them cheap (they're not actually that expensive at full
price) and he's right, it just works. I did a couple of speed tests
and it managed 78.3 Mb/s which should see me through until Virgin
Media finally move to 100Mb/s cable :)

According to dmesg it's...

[55520.035401] eth1: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:1d.7-7, ASIX
AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet, 00:1f:f4:fd:7c:2b

http://bit.ly/cUW0T - amazon link to device.

Amusingly on the packaging it says "Compatible only with MacBook Air
computers". I beg to differ.

Cheers,
Al.