Re: [Hampshire] Deploying a Rails application

Author: Stephen Nelson-Smith
To: adrian, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Deploying a Rails application
Hi,

>> If you want to keep your Apache2, I'd recommend using ModProxy and
>> Mongrel.  For scaling purposes, it's normal to use several Mongrel
>> instances, but to make that work, you need ModProxyBalancer, which
>> comes with Apache 2.2.
>
> I've heard of issues with mongrel (from Reductive Labs incidentally),
> it might be worth looking at mod_passenger (aka mod_rails/mod_ruby I
> believe).

Phusion Passenger is excellent. I didn't suggest it because in my
head it's connected with Ruby Enterprise, and that was an extra thing
to get running on an oldish VPS.

> Have a look at brightbox.net for some prepackaged stuff.

You get get passenger up and running from a working rubygems:

$ gem update --system
$ gem install passenger
$ passenger-install-apache2-module

S.