Re: [Hampshire] Backup problem (after delay due to router fa…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backup problem (after delay due to router failure)
Thanks for the help, Hugo.

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you. My router definitively
died just after I sent my email, and I only had a slightly Heath Robinsonian
replacement up and running OK about 45 minutes ago.

On Saturday 29 August 2009 11:57:30 Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:10:14PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > I am getting the following error when I try to copy my husband's home to
> > backup.
> >
> > [root@Dozy peter]# mount /dev/hda2 /backup && \cp -Rpu /home/. /backup
> > cp: reading
> > `/home/./peter/.thunderbird/8qfkppsa.default/Mail/mailhost.zen.co.uk/Inbo
> >x': Input/output error

>    So close... :) You go all that way, and then don't do the very last
> step: try copying the Inbox file to /tmp, say. Do you get the same I/O
> error? If so, how far does this get before you hit the same error?

> $ dd if=Inbox of=/tmp/Inbox bs=512

[root@Dozy mailhost.zen.co.uk]# dd if=Inbox of=/tmp/Inbox bs=512
dd: reading `Inbox': Input/output error
505912+0 records in
505912+0 records out
259026944 bytes (259 MB) copied, 33.2324 seconds, 7.8 MB/s
[root@Dozy mailhost.zen.co.uk]#

>    An I/O error would usually say to me that there's some problem with
> the media.

Probably - I was trying to get backup bang up to date before blitzing the
media with tests after a strange hanging boot up. :-(

> I would also expect the problem to be logged in the main
> syslog (/var/log/syslog on Debian-like machines, /var/log/messages on
> Red-Hat-like machines) -- look for error blocks like the one near the
> top of [1].

There were none the same, but a lot like so:

Aug 29 17:38:42 Dozy kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Aug 29 17:38:42 Dozy kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 76183415
Aug 29 17:38:42 Dozy kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
Aug 29 17:38:42 Dozy kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=76183416, sector=76183415
Aug 29 17:38:42 Dozy kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

I read those together as probably the HDD which has the OS and /home, and aim
to start there in my tests. (Since it seems to be reading that is the
problem, and reading a specific location at that.) But am open to
correction.

TIA
Lisi