Re: [Hampshire] New Linux-based phone

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New Linux-based phone

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57f0f100.hantslug.org.uk.11337': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Sep 26 12:38:22 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 12:00:17PM +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/9/25 Chris Simmonds <chris@???>:
> > So, I stick by my original premise: the future of mobile devices is Linux.
> > Which is a good thing. It is my hope that as time goes by they will become
> > more open until we get to the point that you by the phone and then load
> > whatever software you want onto it - just like a PC. We are a way off that
> > but there are already some open platforms such as the Nokia webpads
> > N777-N900 that have already been mentioned in this thread and of course the
> > OpenMoko.
> >

> Ahhh OpenMoko.
>
> Can you make calls on those reliably yet?

Not that I'm aware of.

> I had one for a while, and it was abysmal. A hackers plaything, not a phone.

After seeing someone take 15 minutes (including a reboot) to (a)
fail to make a call, and (b) extract a phone number from the thing so
that I could make the call on my phone, I concur. Granted, he wasn't
running the latest version of the OS, but still...

My boss has one, and *does* have the latest OS on it, but it still
sounds appallingly bad. It's not all bad news, though -- Android is
available for the OM hardware. He's going to put that on it, just to
see if it's any better. I'll report back.

I think the major problem with the OpenMoko is the management at
OpenMoko, Inc. They have a very good line in positive, uplifting,
inspirational waffle that means absolutely nothing. They also seem (in
the year or so that I was on the OM mailing lists) to be in the habit
of changing the company strategy every month or two, and almost
certainly caused the departure of at least one of their top technical
people through a failure of management. I'm not surprised that a
confused and barely-usable OS has resulted from such an environment.

Hugo.

          --- What part of "gestalt" don't you understand? ---