Re: [Hampshire] LCD Monitor repair

Author: Matthew Daubney
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] LCD Monitor repair
On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 11:46 +0100, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> A while ago, i bought a cheap LCD monitor. Except for the one dead
> pixel, the picture is fine for my needs. The only problem is it makes
> a noise. A really irritating high pitched whine. If I grip the case by
> its sides, the noise goes away. Sometimes for a bit, sometimes it
> comes back as I release it. It is one of those sounds that you don't
> really know what is annoying you until you turn it off.

Ah, that horrible electrical screaming noise.

> Now I should have returned it straight away, but feel I have left it
> too long now. So I am thinking of opening it up and seeing if I can
> fix it. My plan is to fill each gap and joint with a non-corrosive
> silicone sealant to try and damp down any resonances in the case.

I'd actually take a look at the connections in those areas. That noise
is normally caused by something arcing across a joint. If the power
joins the monitor at that point check that, I normally find the problem
there.

> Has anybody done anything like this? Are there any real gotcha's? If I
> really screw it up, it will just mean that I can justify getting a
> better monitor, so as I see it I can only win :-)

I just tended to replace the monitors when this starts happening. I've
always taken it as a bad omen. But YMMV as they say!

-Matt Daubney