[Hampshire] Samba vs. Dovecot (and some amusement)

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Samba vs. Dovecot (and some amusement)
Hello folks

I've run into a problem on a client's Debian server: Samba won't read
filenames with colons in. I've spent some time Googling around this,
and come up with various suggestions, such as upgrade to Samba 3.3.3,
which I've done, but the problem persists.

The files in question are in Dovecot mailboxes, for example:

1252862884.M951095P21185Q0Rcb072ad8b6eca9fc.server:2,S

When that filename is displayed either in smbclient, or in Nautilus, or
in Windows XP, it shows up as

1VMINX~D

The style of the munged names is always the same -- '1' followed by 5
upper-case alphanumerics, '~', and another alphanumeric -- even for
simple filenames such as 'abc:def'.

The fact the the problem shows up with several different clients
suggests that it's the server that's at fault, i.e. smbd.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

And for your amusement: while trying out things with Samba, Nautilus and
names with colons in, I got this wonderful error message which could be
taken as philosophy:

    Unexpected error: Success

cheers

Chris