Re: [Hampshire] Laptop display borked.

Top Page
Author: Chris Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop display borked.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x573de100.hantslug.org.uk.2147': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Sep 29 15:18:57 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 11BEF6408586B4B2
Adam Sweet wrote:

> It must be time of year for damaged laptop GPUs. My Dell XPS laptop has
> just started corrupting output to screen (green pixel streaks on the
> BIOS, bootloader, boot splash and GUI and flashing white blocky
> corruption on a physical tty). X on Ubuntu fails repeatedly to start
> before throwing me a bunch of Nvidia driver errors and dumping me at the
> low res bulletproof X 'fix your X config' GUI.

That's a known problem with the Nvidia cards used in the XPS (and Sony
Vaio apparently). The problem is that the cards overheat and develop
fractures in the solder 'balls' under the various BGA chips. You can
fix it yourself by removing the heatsink from the card (important*) and
cooking it in the oven for a few minutes to 'reflow' the board. Google
'nvidia reflow' for details.

Chris
* if you don't, the force of the heatsink will squeeze the molten solder
from under the chips.
--
Chris Smith <cjs94@???>