Re: [Hampshire] Laptop display borked.

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop display borked.
Alan Pope wrote:

> I had a 3 year NBD warranty on it, and the card went phut a short
> while after the warranty ran out. Indeed it went phut once in the past
> when the laptop was only a year old and I had it replaced under
> warranty. However when I tried to argue this was a recurrance the
> service department wouldn't have it and said I'd have to pay 200 odd
> quid to have it replaced. They even had the temerity to _argue_ with
> me when the following happened at the end of the call:-
>
> monkey on phone: "Are you happy with the service?"
> me: "Not even slightly"
> monkey: "Why?"
> me: "I have called you and the result is I still have a broken laptop"
> monkey: "But I told you how to get it fixed"
> me: "Yeah, and it should be fixed under warranty IMO"
> monkey: "Can't do that"
> me: "Ok, I'm still not happy"
>
> etc
>
> I even got diverted to his line manager whom I again had to explain to
> that I wasn't "happy". This was not a cheap laptop and it's still
> perfectly usable from a hardware spec point of view. The 1920x1200 17"
> screen is fantastic. But utterly useless without a video card.
>
> Makes me angry just thinking about it.
>
> I'll consider doing the nvidia reflow thing that Chris mentions though.

Hi Al,

You might want to consider an old-fashioned letter (with envelopes and
stamps and everything!) to the head honcho at Dell first, detailing your
position in the world of Ubuntu* and the implications such poor service
has with regards to you recommending Dell to your clients and fellow
enthusiasts.

I know it sounds a bit desperate, but it got me a new laptop under
/very/ similar circumstances.

Sean

* it sounds very grand put like that, but you know what I mean!

--
www.funkygibbins.me.uk