Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...
2009/10/6 Victor Churchill <victorchurchill@???>:
> 2009/10/5 Hugo Mills <hugo@???>:
>> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 04:30:22PM +0100, John Lewis wrote:

>>> nor have I, but then I stopped using rpm based systems when I dumped
>>> RedHat 5.1 and moved to a distro with 'proper' dependency control based
>>> on dpkg/apt and more recently aptitude.
>>
>>   I lasted slightly longer (to 6.0), moving to Debian for the same
>> reasons. However, to be fair, that was well over 10 years ago, and the
>> package management on RPM-based system has improved quite a bit since
>> then. yum is eminently usable, although I find it a little frustrating
>> because I don't know how to do many of the things I do know how to do
>> with apt...
>>

> Similar story. Cut my teeth on Red Hat 4 onwards, struggled with using
> rpm, migrated to The Other One. Now have just started getting
> acquainted with CentOS and actually quite pleasantly surprised. But
> because yum is 'closer' to apt than rpm is/was, there is a tendency to
> expect it to be the same which it ain't.

This has given me an idea. How about at a BaB meeting, three machines
could be setup with a base RedHat, Debian and Gentoo installation.
Then people could have a go or be demonstrated doing common tasks in
each system.

I think we all probably have a favored distribution, and sometimes we
simply stick with what we know. We don't all have the time or
inclination to do extensive testing of what other distributions offer.

It should help dispel out-dated opinions. If nothing else, it could
make a lively meeting :-)

--
Philip Stubbs