Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...
2009/10/6 Vic <lug@???>:
> I *suspect* that what is being said was never really true - it's just a
> feature of individuals not knowing what was available. But whether or not
> that was the case many years ago, it certainly isn't the case now.

Just to be clear, it *was* the case many years ago. At the time when
the then current documentation and accepted recommended method of
installing software in a RedHat based system was to use rpm directly,
Debian was using apt. Therefore it does make sense to compare the two
in that historical context.

> Continuing to harp on about it means that someone is either being wilfully
> ignorant, or is deliberately spreading FUD.

I would say that it is ignorant to not accept that rpm based distroes
have had to catch up with Debian based ones with regards to package
management. If they did not have to catch up, why did they introduce
yum? Maybe now they have caught up, and for some, maybe they have
surpassed. It is good to learn from history, but to be fair to you, we
also need to learn from the present, and that is why I suggested a
compare and contrast session. Not as a, 'mine is better than yours'
but as a method of knocking down old walls and removing some bias
where it is not warranted.

--
Philip Stubbs