Re: [Hampshire] [hants][OT] Vodafone usb broadband dongle pr…

Author: Michael-John Turner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [hants][OT] Vodafone usb broadband dongle problems.
On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 06:21:45AM -0700, Isaac Close wrote:
> It looks like vodafone users all go through a proxy of some sort, but
> lately this has been causing me (and another) problems.

Indeed. Most of the mobile broadband providers transparently proxy http
connections to (1) reduce image sizes and/or (2) filter "objectionable"
sites. In Vodafone's case you can adjust the settings in their client
software (not sure if the Linux version[1] supports this) or by using their
online control panel. Not sure if this'll help (I'm sure your requests will
still be transparently proxied), but it's worth a try.

This may also help:
http://mobilesociety.typepad.com/mobile_life/2007/07/deactivating-th.html
Although the author is in Germany, the same workaround may work in the UK.

[1] https://forge.betavine.net/frs/?group_id=12

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner