Re: [Hampshire] [OT] OLPC XO

Author: John Cooper
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] OLPC XO
On 24/10/09 00:36, Daniel Pope wrote:
> John Cooper wrote:
>> Mike, they are designed for primary school (small keyboard) so may not
>> be suitable. The problem at the moment is you cannot buy them as they
>> have withdrawn the buy one, give one programme via Amazon. This is
>> really frustrating. The only source for small numbers is via eBay and
>> usually from the US (where I bought mine).
>
> I downloaded a Sugar VM this week having failed to get it to work
> natively under Ubuntu.
>
> A brief review: It's utter pants.
>
> It's a bunch of fairly crappy software tied together with an even
> crappier user interface. I reject the idea that this is some microcosm
> of cutting-edge computing. The whole field of usability is completely
> neglected. Decades of user interface design has been ignored. Why? NIH?
>
> Dan

It is designed for education and easy learning for someone who has never
used a computer before. It is a very different interface, using a
journal to log task you do and therefore making it easy to go back to. I
found it difficult at first because of my file based computer use. I
believe the developers have worked hard to create a new UI and the proof
is it is being used and improved. The hardware design is incredible and
very innovative,making it easy to fix and maintain over the years.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk