Re: [Hampshire] Americanisations (Was: Bad Karma)

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Americanisations (Was: Bad Karma)
Jim Kissel wrote:

>>> I've been living in the USA for a year or so. This example is way down on
>>> the
>>> list of annoyingizations of the language :)
>>>
>>> The one that gets me is Herbs, pronounced Erbs, and yet the ability to
>>>

>> pronounce the letter H as Haitch.
>>
> As a "Connecticut Yankee in King Arther's Court", well actually an ex,
> as I've just moved back to the USA, it's "Hews-ton Texas, not "Whos-ton"

... unless of course you happen to be in SoHo New York, which means
"South of Houston", but is pronounced HOWS-TON. Calling it Hews-ton is
to a New Yorker like an American calling Leicester Square "Lie-Sester"
Square to us. ;^)=

On the subject of Haitch, my Dublin born Irish wife will gladly inform
you that Irish kids are taught to say it that way in school, as well as
pronouncing R as "ORR".

jfk (Also in the USA at the moment)