Re: [Hampshire] Hard disks and LVM

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hard disks and LVM

> What I was wondering is: is it possible to get LVM
> to not split individual files across physical volumes.

If you want to be certain not to split anything between disks, create a
separate volume group for each physical disk you add. This does prevent
you creating volumes that are larger than any of your physical disks -
them's the breaks.

> I'm thinking
> (incorrectly?) that this would make recovery easier if I lost a disk.

Marginally easier. LVM has support for partial groups - so you can make
the best of a bad job if you lose a chunk of data. Keeping everything on
separate disks means you don't have to read up on that option..,.

Vic.