[Hampshire] Boot-up hang and "Invalid PBLK length"

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Boot-up hang and "Invalid PBLK length"
Hi,

Most of the time when I boot-up the PC hangs with a message like this:

Starting up...
ACPI: Invalid PBLK length [7]

It's pretty random, sometimes it hangs for a minute then loads,
sometimes a few seconds. Sometimes it hangs for more than a few
minutes and I reboot or give up and boot another PC.

After booting into the desktop successfully some of the context from dmesg is:
    1.154410] ACPI: Power Button (CM) [PWRB]
[    1.154444] fan PNP0C0B:00: registered as cooling_device0
[    1.154448] ACPI: Fan [FAN] (on)
[    1.154625] ACPI: Invalid PBLK length [7]
[    1.154699] processor ACPI_CPU:00: registered as cooling_device1
[    1.156241] thermal LNXTHERM:01: registered as thermal_zone0
[    1.156464] ACPI: Thermal Zone [THRM] (45 C)

OS:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=9.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=jaunty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 9.04"

Kernel:
Linux imran-desktop 2.6.28-15-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 9
10:49:34 UTC 2009 i686
GNU/Linux

Hardware: Shuttle XPC ST20G5

>From Googling, I've tried various kernel options like pnpacpi=off,

noapic etc. Some of these result in the desktop going into
low-graphics mode. None reliably fix the issue.

Some background is that the PC was previously running Ubuntu 8.04. The
problem was not present then. The BIOS intermittently reported "CMOS
Checksum error" a while back. I reloaded the BIOS defaults and that
problem has gone away. I did a fresh install of Jaunty over Hardy
sometime after this.

Any ideas please?
Thanks,
Im