Re: [Hampshire] [Job] IMAP Proxy & LDAP integration.

Author: Simon Capstick
To: adrian, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Job] IMAP Proxy & LDAP integration.
Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 17:20:01 +0000 (+0000), Simon Capstick wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A small job:
>>
>> Has anyone had experience of setting up a (secure) IMAP proxy along with
>> a public CA certificate? LDAP integration, along with setting up
>> OpenLDAP to authenticate users would be a real bonus.
>
> IMAP proxy? What's the backend email storage? I use IMAP (dovecot)
> with Maildir storage personally. The box itself is all LDAP'd up so
> the "local accounts" are in reality LDAP ones.
>
> Dovecot also supports directly querying LDAP (including TLS goodness).
>
> Adrian

We're using courier-imap on Debian internally. I don't want this server
open to the outside world. Instead I would like another courier-imap in
proxy mode, preferably in a DMZ, using fail2ban, and authorising against
a list of accounts marked as having remote access. It's not something I
have time to try out myself and get right. I've read Dovecot may not
play as nice with Blackberries (our main requirement) due to some issue
with the IMAP IDLE command - I may be wrong.

Simon

--
Simon Capstick
Operations and Consultancy Director

http://www.linkedin.com/in/simoncapstick

Postal Address: Highview House, 8 Chapel Road, West End, Southampton,
Hampshire, SO30 3FH, England
UK-registered company number: 02221362
Registered office: P.S. Computer Services Ltd, Westbury House, 14
Bellevue Road, Southampton, SO15 2AY