Re: [Hampshire] Weird output from 'top'

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Weird output from 'top'
Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> Yes, it is dual-core. I know about top <1> for per-core stats, but I
> thought I read somewhere that the '%CPU' per-process column was an
> amalgamation of the two - can't find the reference now, of course!

The percentages in the section at the machine summary at the top of the
screen are amalgamated (if you haven't pressed "1"!), so if all cores
are being used fully, the percentage woudl be 100.

For the entries for individual processes, 100% is 100% of one CPU. We
regularly run our Java code at 350% on a 4- or 8-core machine.
Single-threaded processes (e.g. simple C programs) will max out at 100%.