Re: [Hampshire] Periodic filesystem checks

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Periodic filesystem checks
Leo wrote:

> Alan Pope wrote:
>> 2009/7/25 Leo <linux@???>:
>>> On a not entirely unrelated note, when the a file system check starts
>>> during a boot up, is it possible to skip it? I've tried Ctrl-C but that
>>> doesn't work.

> Pressing Esc doesn't work for me, it just carries on doing the check.
> Does the ability to skip them have to be enabled somewhere?

If you don't have the resources to live with a file system check, fsck on
boot, then you can edit the 6th field in your /etc/fstab file for partitions
you want to exclude from checking, i.e.

instead of

UUID=69... /var ext3 defaults 0 1

use

UUID=69... /var ext3 defaults 0 0

but note that even if you use a command like:

]#sudo shutdown -rF now

this won't force a disk check, for this partition, on reboot. This is true
for my Debian 5.0 dev. box.

Damian

--
WWW http://www.diaser.org.uk - Open Source Data Vault Application - beta-1