Re: [Hampshire] Periodic filesystem checks

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Periodic filesystem checks
Hugo Mills wrote:

>    Another solution I've seen recently is to remove the check-on-boot
> entirely. This in itself is a bad thing, because you then don't get to
> find random bit-flip data corruptions (which is what the regular
> fsck-on-boot is for). To get the same effect with no impact on boot
> times, keep your filesystems in LVM, take a snapshot of each
> filesystem at regular intervals, and then run fsck on the snapshot.
> (This advice came from Ted Ts'o, who knows a thing or two about
> filesystems... :) )

Or, when you have time, boot onto emergency mode from grub by adding
'emergency' at the grub command prompt. Login when prompted then fdisk -l to
view the available partitions then fsck manually.

--
WWW http://www.diaser.org.uk - Open Source Data Vault Application - beta-1

RSS http://sourceforge.net/export/rss2_projnews.php?group_id=258272

Blog http://interlinux.co.uk/wordpress