[Hampshire] Krfb (VNC) remote connect nightmare with screens…

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Krfb (VNC) remote connect nightmare with screensaver *solved*
Subject: [Hampshire] Krfb (VNC) remote connect nightmare with screensaver login
Hi all,

I'm running Fedora 11 and trying to allow remote access to my machine
via Krfb - I need to get this working so I can work from home tomorrow!
If I'd know it was going to be difficult I would have started earlier
:(. I rather foolishly assumed that because Krfb came pre-installed it
would "just work".

I can connect fine if the screen saver is off. However when the screen
saver is running it won't let me log in. The password is just rejected
and I get "Authentication failure" from kcheckpass in /var/log/messages.
It would appear that there is something stopping the authentication
working when I've connected remotely via VNC.

This is also a real pain to test as I have to lock the machine and then
get a colleague at work to let me try connecting in.

I've tried googling but no luck so far. Does anyone have experience of
pam / vnc and this sort of problem? Any tips / hints on trying to find
out what is wrong?

Cheers,

Steve.