Re: [Hampshire] Desktop colour laser printers

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Desktop colour laser printers
Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Saturday 12 December 2009 17:08:55 Roger Munford wrote:
>
>> I am in the process of choosing a small colour laser printer for very a
>> light printing requirement. The last one was sadly only half way through
>> its second set of cartridges after about 5 years.
>>
>> Does anybody have strong "must check out" or "must avoid" advice on both
>> printers and suppliers. It almost goes without saying that it must work
>> well with Linux.
>>

> I've got a Xerox Phaser 8560DN, which I'm happy with. It's an
> IP printer, and works with CUPS (I don't recall where I got the
> ppds from, but I think I had to download them from somewhere).
>
> It's a duplex colour laser, so not at the cheap end of the market

I've got an 8550D, but I've been disappointed in the colour response
from it. To my eye, it cannot match the colours of the outside edges of
the colour cube (HTML). Another was, is to say the colours are too
muddy. I found this to be the case for both printing an image, and the
test sheets the printer can produce.

It's a good printer, but I'm not happy with gamut. YMMV