Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Open Source vendor software question

Author: Jacqui Caren-home
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Open Source vendor software question
Damian Brasher wrote:
> John Cooper wrote:
>
>> Assuming you don't want to use something like Zencart, PayPal explains
>> how to do this on their site
>>
>> https://www.paypal-business.co.uk/website-payments-standard.asp
>>
>> and takes you through the process of adding a button to your webpage.
>>
>> The PayPal receipt could have a link to download the ebook.
>
> For simplicity and investment of time this has to be the most efficient
> option, by default I'll be keeping a record of downloads and the
> corresponding IP numbers. Then better to use the time saved to concentrate on
> the front page and sourcing publicity channels. Inevitably I will lose sales
> to illegal copies but this is not easily resolved, even an encrypted document
> can have screen-shots made of it. Better to explain why and how the sales
> will assist in sustaining an Open Source system development to encourage
> payment.
>
> <general plug>
>
> BTW: It's an eBook about small scale OSS collaborative development designed
> to assist, save time/money and enlighten interested readers. About 60 pages
> for under the 5 dollar mark,

One *possible* solution I have seen publishers of low change, high cost
documents use...

1) have a publically availible version with contributions required on every age.
2) when someone puchases a copy generate a PDF that replaces the contrib
    plug with this licenced belongs to ... and is non transferrable.
    If you would like the to purchase your own or get the freely available copy
    to go...

And make 1) *much* bigger than 2)

This does not stop the PDF hackers out there but you cannot have everything.

Finally, provide a sftp username/password to extra materiel and links in the PDF.
When people use the password from all over the world it at least
can ring alarms bells on your systems.