Re: [Hampshire] NAS devices and MTU

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NAS devices and MTU
Re Auto negociation.

The situation was this.

System 1 - Windows Server 2003 with Websphere App Server
System 2 - Windows Server 2003 plus SQL Server 2000

Apps on System 1 were doing DB selects & inserts on the DB located on
System 2
When we turned off Auto-Negociation on BOTH system Network INterfaces
the throughput went up by 60%
I came to the conclusion that every operation was being auto-negociated
as system 1 uses a connection pool that is opened when the Appserver
starts working.

I stand willing to be corrected but I'd like to know where the huge
performance improvement came from if it isn't working like I assumed.

I didn't have any opportunity to run the system with a tool like
Wireshark running at the same time as this was on a customer site and
wouldn't let me loose with wireshark for obvious security reasons.

Happy New Year

Stephen D