Re: [Hampshire] NAS devices and MTU

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NAS devices and MTU

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Courtier-Dutton" <james.dutton@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 3:09 PM

>Wow, some old stuff there. You already know about the 5-4-3 rule from
>the other posts.

I do now - thanks ;-]

>If you give the model numbers of each hub, I might be able to help further.
>My guess is that one of the hubs might be running at 10Mbps. If there
>are a lot of PCs on the network, then the network will already be
>flooded, this could also cause the file transfer problems.

Can't easily tell. Suffice to say the main 16 port hub was given to me at
least 5
years ago and I doubt it's 100Mbps.

>You should really look at upgrading to using switches instead of hubs.
>Another option is the put a sniffer on the network, and see how much
>bandwidth is being used.

Indeed. I've just tried a copy from client to linkstation and am getting
4MBps - not 900KBps and the reason is doubtless that they're going through
only the router - no other switches / hubs anywhere. I see Novatech are
doing an Edimax 16 port switch for £25 so I'll probably go for that.

>Do you know the difference between a hub and a switch? Replacing hubs
>with switches will greatly reduce the amount of traffic on each
>network link.

Hubs work at one speed, switches work at the most appropriate speed - that's
the
difference isn't it?

[snip]

Cheers