Re: [Hampshire] stuart biggs added you as a business connect…

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] stuart biggs added you as a business connection on Plaxo

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5735c100.hantslug.org.uk.23792': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 31 17:07:42 2010 GMT
gpg: using RSA key 4BC36C6C174D31C1
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:29:06 +0000
Keith Edmunds <kae@???> wrote:

Hello Keith,

>> It's not a Windows issue (much as it pains me to say it).
> Oh! Thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome.

> > Plaxo, Twitter, Facebook, Bebo etc. have an option that allows them
> > to contract addresses that you have stored with an invite to join.
> Wow. No wonder 99% of the population have no idea about online
> security.

That sentence /should/ read:

No wonder 99% of the population have no idea about security.
(notice deletion of word _online_) :-)

In general, people have no idea about security, it's true. Plaxo, et al
are not to blame for that, though. They just use the fact to their
advantage.

FB et al don't _store_ the passwords. They're used in a single shot way;

Enter the relevant site using password provided by user
d/l the address book
dispose of all data, inc. passwords used
paste addresses into pro forma
email them

Or some variation on that.

The worst thing is that (certainly it's true at FB, not sure about the
others, as I don't have accounts with Twitter, Bebo, etc.) the password
is sent to FB in plain.

My MUAs address book has about 10 addresses in it, that's all. Mailing
lists aren't there because Claws-Mail allows the setting of default
addresses on a per folder basis, meaning that the address book is
redundant for that purpose.

--
 Regards  _

It's becoming an obsession
Teenage Depression - Eddie & The Hot Rods