Re: [Hampshire] Hardware Fault?

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hardware Fault?
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 13:07:09 +0000
Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> wrote:

> > Eventually I found the the bios had reset the hard disk setting from
> > the original 80 gig to 10 Gig so grub wouldn't start.
>
> If BIOS settings are changing randomly on an old PC, I would
> immediately suspect that the CMOS battery is flat.

Thanks Chris, that is one thing I can check

> > When I corrected the bios setting it then booted ok BUT it runs
> > terribly slowly. I know it isn't a very fast system to start with
> > but it is currently taking 40+ minutes to get from the grub screen
> > to a logon prompt.
>
> Perhaps the hard drive is failing too.

I'd hoped getting the same problems with another drive would have
eliminated that as source of problem.

> > hda: host side 80-wire cable detection failed, limiting max speed to
> > UDMA33
>
> Does it have an 80-wire cable? Have you tried reseating the drive
> cable?

Dunno what sort of cable it is other than it looks like all other drive
cables I have seen (apart from more modern SATA types) I did press down
on the connectors but didn't actually remove and re-seat other than at
the hard drive end

> > It may be that this system has is passed its 'usability date' and
> > I'll need to get a replacement system but the only option locally is
> > to buy a brand new system from PC World which I am very reluctant to
> > do. All I need is to be able to clone (rsync) the /home partition
> > on my main system to a backup system.

> How about just using an external USB hard drive for that?

I am using one of those as well - 'belt and braces' approach. I also
used the backup PC to keep a copy of my geneweb database on, the
primary data lives on a third machine. The geneweb data is also backed
up to my netbook, to my website and periodically to my main system.

The intention of having a clone PC was that if my main system died I
could use the backup system for email etc without needing to do anything
other than "just use it"

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid