[Hampshire] Latex running in Virtual on cifs mounted directo…

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Latex running in Virtual on cifs mounted directory
At work we have a Microsoft Windows setup. I have to have Windows as
my main operating system. However, I do have VirtualBox running with
Ubuntu so that I can do some useful stuff.

My problem is accessing the files on the network. I have the following
line in fstab
//10.10.20.11/dan_data /mnt/danmail cifs
iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/philip/.smbcredentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mod=0755,dir_mode=0755,noatime
0 0

I can browse the files ok. I can open the files in vi to edit them.
However, if I try and run LaTeX, it complains "! I can't find file
`whatever.tex'."

I have tried mounting the file using the gnome file browser GUI thing,
and that puts the mount point under ~/.gvfs/etc... but it puts a space
in the mount path that causes ghostscript to barf.

Any suggestions as to how I can improve this?

--
Philip Stubbs