Re: [Hampshire] unable to connect from one system to another…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] unable to connect from one system to another usingssh

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56b73100.hantslug.org.uk.9067': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Feb 16 13:51:03 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 01:46:43PM +0000, John Lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:43:01 +0000
> Stephen Rowles <stephen@???> wrote:
> > Some simple diagnostics to get further with this problem.
> >
> > First is to isolate the source of the problem, whether it is SSH, or
> > simply the network / DNS.
> >
> > Try using telnet to connect to the port instead, for example, if I
> > connect to my local machine on port 22, I get the following, which
> > clearly shows that OpenSSH is running.
> >
> > ]$ telnet localhost 22
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.2
> > ^]
> > telnet> close
> > Connection closed.
>
> following on from Sean's comment I have installed telnet and run the
> command suggested above. On both benden & landing it hangs at this
> point:
>
> SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5
> (it is OpenSSH_5.3p1 Debian-1 on benden)
>
> but eventually get "Connection closed by foreign host"
>
> if I try "telnet landing 22" from benden I connect OK
>
> but if I try "telnet benden 22" from landing I get
> trying 192.168.1.6...
>
> and then it hangs
>
> until
>
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

Out of interest, what do you get from running "sudo arp -n" on each
machine? It's possible that there's something else on the network with
the same IP address.

Also, what's the network topology between the two machines? Are
they both on the same switch? Do you have more switches/hubs in
between?

> looking at /etc/services it has two lines
>
> ssh 22/tcp    # SSH Remote Login Protocol
> ssh 22/udp

This just defines the mapping from name to port number, nothing
else.

Hugo.

        --- Great oxymorons of the world, no. 2: Common Sense ---