Re: [Hampshire] Kernel compilation woes

Top Page
Author: James
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Kernel compilation woes

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56bdc100.hantslug.org.uk.20891': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Feb 16 22:55:15 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
Hello,

> I've downloaded the source from kernel.org on my other laptop, run 'make
> menuconfig' and set what I believe to be the right (and safe) options.
> Then 'make bzImage', 'make modules' and 'make rpm'. This all ran without
> failure and I moved my fresh rpm over to the new laptop.

The RPM produced in this way doesn't appear to have any scriptlets to
make the initramfs image or update /etc/grub.conf. If you want such an
RPM, you'll need to build it with rpmbuild and by adjusting the Fedora
kernel.spec file (see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel ).

Try building the kernel on the target machine using

make && make modules_install install

(or moving the built tree to the target and running the latter). This
always things up OK for me, anyway.

(Actually, I normally obtain the kernel .src.rpm from Koji, rpmbuild -bp
it to create a prepped, Fedora-patched source tree, copy that, apply
further patches and build from there.)

> However it doesn't work... after going through the password prompt for
> LVM decrypt I'm just left with a flashing cursor. Output of
> /var/log/messages points towards massive X display failures: "GDM
> Display lasted 0.080075 seconds". Xorg.log says that screens are found
> but none have a usable configuration.

Could be missing DRI modules? Assuming that the kernel image and modules
are in place, try re-creating it with dracut (works like mkinitrd, see
its manpage for more).

James

--
James                                       TheHolyettlz@???