Re: [Hampshire] Basic CAD software?

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Basic CAD software?
On 17 February 2010 14:35, Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 02:19:05PM +0000, Peter Salisbury wrote:
>> On 17 February 2010 13:26, Victor Churchill <victorchurchill@???> wrote:
>> > That's very neat Hugo. When Steve posted I thought about suggesting
>> > 'gimp' for the importing+drawing but missed the measurement angle (so
>> > to speak)
>> >

>> OpenOffice Draw also allows you to draw lines on top of an image and
>> has the advantage of the lines being modifiable later (plus all the
>> goodies associated with a high-end vector object oriented graphics
>> package).
>
>   I'd hardly describe OpenOffice Draw as "high-end". Like almost
> everything else in OpenOffice.org, it's a poor copy of MS Office, and
> is incredibly painful to use for drawing graphics. It also doesn't
> seem to be able to tell me the angle of a line once I've drawn it. For
> vector drawing, Inkscape is generally a much better solution.

The angle of a line in OO Draw is shown in the status line as you move
it. Also available with right click, Position and Size / Rotation.

I rather like OO Draw but then I've been using it for years so I
suppose I'm used to its way of doing things. I've never used MS Office
for anything other than getting cross with it, so can't comment on
which is better. It probably depends somewhat on whether you have
access to free copies and upgrades of the MS products!

ATB, Peter