Re: [Hampshire] FAT32 problems

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: rogermunford, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FAT32 problems

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57322100.hantslug.org.uk.8563': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 5 20:38:08 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 08:17:07PM +0100, Roger Munford wrote:
> I have written a data logging programme which stores data on an 8GB USB
> drive and has worked without problem for some time until disk access to
> the drive became more and more sluggish (files were deleted and so the
> number at any time was no bigger that 100). The hardware is a National
> Instruments cRio, VxWorks OS.
> The only possible problem that I discovered is a warning in
> documentation is that the file system is FAT and filenames should be
> limited to the 8.3 format. I wasn't aware of that and used filenames 14
> characters long.

I'm no expert on this area, but if the 8.3 limit was truly a limit,
you'd not be able to write those files to it. In practice, pretty much
all FAT filesystems in the last 10 years or so have used the extension
that allows arbitrary(*)-length mixed-case filenames. Even in that
case, the system still writes a faked-up 8.3 filename as well, for
things that don't understand the long filenames extension.

As to your slow-down, I'm afraid that I've got no idea, but I would
be reasonably sure that it's not down to the use of long filenames.

Hugo.

(*) OK, they're limited, but long.

               --- emacs: Emacs Makes A Computer Slow. ---