Re: [Hampshire] Whatever happened to programming?

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Whatever happened to programming?
On 8 March 2010 09:54, Stephen Rowles <stephen@???> wrote:

> On 03/07/2010 08:25 AM, Stephen Davies wrote:
>

> These seems to me like the typical "in my day" rants.
>
> Here's another...

I started off in this life as an assembler programmer, but decided long ago
that life's too short for assembler.

However, it really bothers me that so many youngsters (including some
Computer Science graduates!) seem to lack any real understanding of what's
happening when they use a computer.

I'm reminded of of a story by Arthur C. Clark, about a society which had
become totally dependent on its machines. They became ever more reliable and
self-maintaining, to the point where there was nobody left alive who
understood them. All was well until, inevitably, the unexpected happened.

Chris.