Re: [Hampshire] greetings card makers

Author: Graeme Hilton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] greetings card makers
>> You can use goo.gl to shorten google results. I use it as a chrome
>> extension. Your link above can be shortened to http://goo.gl/yj4h
>
> Thanks, John. But erm... how? That is the problem. I can't work out how
> actually _do_ it. From where did you get the yj4h??

Lisi,

Other services, like http://tinyurl.com or http://bit.ly do the same
thing, but for all urls, not just googles.

Copy a long url [1], go to the website [2] that will perform the
shortening and paste the url into the obvious box. Press the
"shorten" button and the website generates a short url [3] that you
can then easily cut and paste into an email without fear of it
splitting over lines.

[1] http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Southampton,+Hampshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=50.904966,-1.403234&spn=0.170171,0.225563&t=h&z=12
[2] http://bit.ly/
[3] http://bit.ly/cnQsal

bit.ly also offer the facility to track the number of clicks on the
link that you've shortened, as well as providing a file-sharing
facility and direct access to twitter from the bit.ly homepage.

Hope this helps.

Graeme Hilton