Re: [Hampshire] Basic drawing programme to design roof exten…

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Basic drawing programme to design roof extension
On 15/04/2010 13:29, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I think the payback period for PVs in the UK is something like 30
> years due to the lack of sunlight in the UK.
> I think, due to wear and tear, the PV would have to be replaced before
> 30 years, so using PVs in the UK does not give you any TCO savings.
> It would only help you feel better in a green sort of way

I'd agree, and they are not very green either due to all the horrible
chemicals etc. used to create them! Solar thermal (hot water) on the
other hand are a great idea. They are very efficient, relatively green
(basically glass vacuum tubes) and will have a huge impact on your hot
water bills very quickly.

You do need to make sure you use the vacuum tube versions though, the
all metal ones are rubbish!

Having said that do note that they are not really suitable for heating
your house (unlike some sales people claim).