Re: [Hampshire] OpenDNS benefits

Author: Tim Retout
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OpenDNS benefits
On 15 April 2010 16:31, trotter <m.nuttall@???> wrote:
> I have been trying OpenDNS and have noticed similar services while
> googling.
>
> I have it setup now but was wondering if anybody else had tried other
> services and has any comments on whether they are faster more reliable
> or have better privacy policies?

The main downside of OpenDNS (and many similar services) is that
nonexistent domains resolve to one of their ad servers. So when you
type a nonexistent domain into a web browser, you get an advert. This
"feature" breaks such things as the search bar in Epiphany for single
terms (because the browser checks whether that word is actually a host
on the network first). I don't like it because they break the protocol
- although it's possible to block the wildcard domain using dnsmasq,
for instance. There's nothing particularly "open" about it.

Now, Google Public DNS doesn't do this, and provides a similar service
- it falls under Google's standard privacy policy. I'm tempted to use
it at work, because our main DNS server is a bit flaky...

--
Tim Retout <tim@???>