[Hampshire] Booting from a USB device

Author: Mark Johnson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Booting from a USB device
Hi All,
After my EeePC broke recently I purchased a USB enclosure for the SSD with the
hope of recovering data.
The root of the problem is that my home partition is encrypted and I've had no
luck mounting it and managing to decrypt the filenames, so I was hoping to boot
into the system, log in and get at my data that way.
However, now that the SSD is in its enclosure, neither my physical machine nor
virtualbox sees it as bootable, despite the fact that it booted fine when it
was installed directly in the EeePC. Is there a trick to make a USB device
bootable?

Cheers
Mark