Re: [Hampshire] problems with accessing startx.co.uk

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] problems with accessing startx.co.uk
** john lewis <johnlewis@???> [2010-05-05 14:07]:
> On Wed, 5 May 2010 12:30:48 +0000
> Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 01:04:51PM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> > > Is there any way I can get startx.co.uk recognised by some other
> > > nameserver(s)?
> >
> > I think you'll need to get
> >
> >     Registrar:
> >         Abscissa.com Limited [Tag = MYTH]

> > to change the nameserver records with Nominet.
>
> Thanks Andy, that means I still need to contact Mark Lewis. In the
> meantime none of my 'clients' can connect with my database and since
> one of those is my wife I am in bother ;-(

** end quote [john lewis]

A temporary fix would be to add a line in the /etc/hosts file, something like:

212.13.194.129    startx.co.uk

should do the trick. On Windows it would be
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and you may have to copy the sample
(hosts.sam) file as a starting point.

There is one potential gotcha with this, but I don't think it will cause you
problems. Basically in a virtual hosting environment the server needs to be
able to resolve the address when it starts to accept that it should be serving
this address. Since you only have the one domain on your IP the default domain
that would be served is the same one, so no problems. If the server can no
longer resolve the domain, but hasn't been restarted then you should get away
wit hit too. I've just tested this and it works from here, so this should keep
your most important client happy for a while :)

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: