Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Hardrive

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Hardrive
On 19 May 2010 12:21, Vic <lug@???> wrote:
> If the data is not recovered, you haven't got a reallocation - you've got
> a disk failure. Disk failures do occur; they are less frequent than they
> might be because of the drive's ability to swap out failing sectors before
> they are completely gone, but immortal drives do not exist, even with
> sector reallocation.

Yes they do. If we consider 'dying' to be when a read fails, by simply
not asking the drive to read the data, we will never get a failed
read. Therefore the drive will never die. Immortal. :-) I have about
five 250 mb such drives on my bench in my shed. As long as I don't try
and use them, they are still alive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger's_cat

--
Philip Stubbs