Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Hardrive

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Hardrive

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57177100.hantslug.org.uk.14004': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed May 19 14:47:58 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 01:36:35PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 19 May 2010 12:45, Vic <lug@???> wrote:
> >
> > In the event of an ECC failure, the sector will not be reallocated - it is
> > already failed.
> >

> This is the crux of the difference between your and my point of view.
> You say the sector will not be reallocated.
> I say it will and I believe Hugo also suggests it will.

A *repeated* ECC failure probably wouldn't cause a reallocation.
However, if the ECC failed (or some other hardware excursion occured)
several times, and then a good copy was received on one of the
retries, the reallocation would happen successfully. I would not
expect the drive to report an error to the OS in this case.

A low-level reallocation (with or without a data copy -- I don't
know) would probably happen if the drive fails multiple retries and
doesn't get a good copy. In this case, I *would* expect the drive to
bounce an error back to the OS, as there will be data loss. (You can't
avoid it at that point).

In both cases, I'd expect to see the SMART error count increase,
but the error reporting and data loss outcomes would be different.

Hugo.

    --- Reintarnation:  Coming back from the dead as a hillbilly. ---