Re: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk and low IP addresses

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk and low IP addresses

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x579e8100.hantslug.org.uk.26751': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu May 20 23:22:12 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi trotter,

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 08:42:06PM +0000, trotter wrote:
> At 13:51 18/05/2010, you wrote:
> >I come across this all the time. HCC are running what networky types
> >call a bogon filter. An outdated bogon filter is worse than no bogon
> >filter at all.
>
> Who are the sort of people who would use Bogons?

People setting random source addresses on their packets (usually
denial of service bots) and people who want to use IP ranges that
aren't allocated to them for whatever reason, usually so they don't
get any grief for the content of their packets. e.g. spammers.

Cheers,
Andy