Re: [Hampshire] Opportunity for Linux advocacy?

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Opportunity for Linux advocacy?
John Cooper wrote:

> On 27/05/10 16:08, Owain Clarke wrote:
>> I wonder if, with the new government desperate to save money anywhere,
>> there may be a bit of an open door for pushing the idea of Linux adoption?

I sense there is a drift towards OSS, the drift needs steering though so it
doesn't become an unwieldy cloudy waft.

> That would be the logical approach but unfortunately M$ will do what is
> takes like discounts to ensure their monopoly is not eroded.

Heaven forbid. They have managed to infiltrate the top ten downloads on
SourceForge with the MS Core fonts download.

> Schools and colleges have the most to gain
> by replacing Windows but there is too much politics to get around.

I'm sure (know) over half the resistance is due laziness (unwillingness to
change), badly designed IT strategies which end up costing more than planned
and arcane organisational power structures. Sure it's fine for someone like
me with Linux experience to say that, but we are here to help make that
change. The other half is that there is just not that much of a short-medium
term gain to be made from switching over to Linux. I'd always be of the
opinion that in most cases in the long-term Linux is a better ROI.

> Hopefully the scrapping of the quango BECTA will help schools make their
> own minds up.

What are quangos anyway? Do they have pink legs, green feathers and live in
muddy, dried up lakes :-?

-- Damian

--
w: http://www.diaser.org.uk - Geo-data replication long-term archive system
(WAN vault)- beta2

w: http://www.walkingwiththeelephants.co.uk - ebook about small scale OSS
collaborative development

w: http://interlinux.co.uk/wordpress/?p=371 - DSI – invading aliens game

--
This message has been scanned by MailScanner.