Re: [Hampshire] Cobalt RAQ4

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
New-Topics: [Hampshire] headless MPC-L (was Re: Cobalt RAQ4)
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cobalt RAQ4

> I've just been given one of these units, and although I've got a good
> number of links to keep me busy, I thought I'd just see whether anyone
> else had played with one of these and got Linux running on it.

Yes. I used to run one in a DC until it perished...

They were marketed as web servers originally, but I don't think they're
especially good for headless operation; Cobalt Linux (which was the
original configuration, and derived from RHL6.0) only supported ext2 in
the initrd (which is in flash, IIRC), so a power failure causing a dirty
shutdown could lead to a need to fsck on the next boot. But Cobalt Linux
expects a Ctrl-D on the keyboard before it will start that. And there is
no keyboard...

I wouldn't deploy a RAQ4 into an unattended production environment.

Vic.