Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware problems with Dell Latitude C…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware problems with Dell Latitude C840?
On Tuesday 08 June 2010 16:44:48 Hugo Mills wrote:
> > The only drive acknowledged by the BIOS, and therefore the one from
> > which it boots, is the 6GB one.  Puppy calls that one sda1.
> >
> > So: that is file system, video card, and I/O on one of the IDE drives.
>
>    All of this merely points to the fact that the large hard disk has
> failed. Try replacing that.

Thanks, Hugo! :-)

I blanch slightly at telling Chihiro that. :-( The smaller hard drive (I
remembered it as slightly larger than that, but that is the size the BIOS is
telling me) only contains the system. The larger contains her encrypted
journal and a fair amount of data. :-(

I see quite a bit worse a) when I am tired and b) by electric light. I'll run
fsck on /dev/hda1 in the morning and the remove the larger drive and see if
everything boots.

Lisi