Re: [Hampshire] Building Debian/Ubuntu packages

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: General Linux/Unix community List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Building Debian/Ubuntu packages

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56da2100.hantslug.org.uk.26801': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Jun 19 22:48:35 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:20:42PM +0100, Tim Retout wrote:
> On 19 June 2010 20:53, Anton Piatek <anton@???> wrote:
> > Several people have asked me at various Hants/Surrey LUG events about
> > building Debian/Ubuntu packages. I have just started the first of a
> > series of blog posts about it, and thought I would post it here for
> > those that are interested.
> >
> > http://www.strangeparty.com/2010/06/17/a-debian-packaging-howto/
>
> Noooooooooooooo, not cdbs! ;)
>
> Most developers prefer debhelper 7 these days, with the 'dh' tool,
> because it is easier to customize for unusual situations. Some
> packaging teams (like the Debian GNOME team, I think) still use cdbs
> because they have specialized requirements. (This is almost certainly
> the first comment you would receive on submitting such a package to
> the debian-mentors list, apart being asked to clean up the rubbish
> added by dh_make.)

On several occasions, I've looked at building debs in the past, but
I've always baulked at the huge list of more-or-less obscure dh_*
commands that end up in the auto-built makefiles. I'd like to know
what they do, and what situations they're each useful for.

As a serious programming control freak, having a big list of weird
commands in my makefile with little idea of exactly what purpose each
serves makes me very uncomfortable. Will you be addressing this
information in later articles?

> But getting people to package things properly is good, so kudos for
> encouraging that. Too often people create hacked-together binary
> packages, and foist them on unsuspecting users.

Indeed.

Hugo.

                       --- Strive for apathy! ---